Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My effort to honor Ireland



Could I miss her more?  I don't think so.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of Ireland.  Some days I can smile and other days, not so much.  ......Life is somehow going on.  It seemed impossible but it does.  ..........I still have times that are rough and this past week was one of those times.  I had reconnected with a friend that I just love so dearly and of course, I had to let her know all that been going on in my life.  ....funny, I really felt the need to comfort her and her family whom I'd also lost contact with.  This was so hard on her for not being there and I really understand.  ......Well, in an effort to honor my precious Ireland, I am starting a blog or sort of mission.  I doubt this will be a blog where I post daily thoughts, it is simply a project.  I plan on eventually starting yet another blog to post my daily musings (so to speak)...how fancy, huh?...musings.  ....Anyway, I've started a blog at http://www.mybabysbling.blogspot.com/.  I plan on making little eye masks for NICU babies.  It seems that this was a new idea and I'm truly proud that I came up with this on my own.  I plan on making some for Primary Children's here in Salt Lake City but hope that this site will possibly grow into something more.  I'd love to see others make the masks as well and either send them to me or to their own local hospitals.  It is such a simple thing.   ....My aunt "Paby" gave me a shawl given by a group from her church when Ireland passed away.  It meant much more to me than I initially believed.  ...At the time, I simply thought it was a nice gift.  In the days that passed, it was a sort of life saver.  ...Basically, those that make these shawls pray as they're knitting to give the receiver of the shawl peace, comfort, the love and understanding they need once they receive it.  Well, I can not profess to being this ultra religious and sentimental guru....BUT, this shawl was truly comforting.  I had folded it over my headboard and when I couldn't sleep or the pain seemed unbearable, I'd feel this shawl or simply the fringe and it gave me some comfort knowing that I was loved, that Ireland was loved, that others cared so much and that God had a plan in all of this.  It comforted me knowing that Ireland wasn't simply gone...there was more.  ............I will not go on and on about all that this did for me and how incredibly grateful I am to this church and the countless others who prayed for my family and for Ireland.  Just know that this shawl worked magic and that I wish I had a gift for knitting, but I don't.  However, I can sew.  I am not an expert but I make things with love and I believe I have something to offer.  I figure that I can use the same concept of the shawl as when I make these eye masks because I do so pray that the baby that would wear it will heal and that the mother, father, and family will find comfort in knowing that they are not alone.  ........In addition to some comfort when I make these little eye masks with a prayer, NICU babies tend to need some darkness and new parents tend to love the thought of dressing up their little ones.
Well, wish me some luck.  I need to work on the site (in my limited blog knowledge) and also work on the little masks.  I'll also try to figure out how to upload a pattern for the eye masks (if nothing else, take an adult pattern and simply reduce it).  .........any suggestions are totally welcome.  I wanted to honor Ireland and wasn't sure if I should have been exclusive to CDH but figured in the long run, I'm trying to do something.  That has to be better than doing nothing.

13 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss! May God bring you peace, comfort, and everlasting blessings from here on out. I never know what the appropriate words are at a time like this, there are no words strong enough to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. I think the eye masks are such a wonderful idea! Hugs hugs and prayers being sent your way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful and wonderful! What a wonderful idea! Anything we can do to make our NICU babies look special for whatever time they are there is so very important. Ireland must be so proud of her mama. I am very glad there is more too.....
    Love,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to donate some fabric for you to do the mask...let me know what kind and i would love to send it...email me the info at krystleash@yahoo.com....your little girl is so beautiful and perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning:

    I would be willing to make these little eye masks when you have a specific pattern in mind including what type of fabric etc. you would like to be used.

    I am a semi-retired nurse and would be pleased to assist you in any way to remember
    your beautiful daughter!

    Please e-mail me at your convenience @
    rsutton166@comcast.net

    Have a peaceful day and may you and your family continue to find hope for better days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea! Especially when parents are not allowed to hold their baby, it will give them comfort in knowing they're contributing to their baby's care. I know I felt powerless and would've loved something like this. What a wonderful tribute to Ireland. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking of you guys! Ireland will always have a special place in my heart. Every day when I think of Maxton I think of all the others... too many others... who are in heaven playing with him. Much love to you guys! I am here if ever you need me! Love the ideas!

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your idea of making "bling" or the eye masks for other babies in the NICU. Also an idea...attach a small card with something about Ireland, a poem, a memory, a quote. Many prayers for you and your family.

    Much love,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful idea, and a lovely way to honor Ireland!! I have TONS of turqouise fabric I would love to donate to you! Email me if you are interested at jen@sofiascdhstory.com

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a wonderful idea. I always thought of something like that, I am so glad you are doing it.
    We think of you and have you in our prayers daily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chanda- I also meant to ask if you would like me to make a painting for Ireland. I would be honored if it is something that you are interested in. If so, just email me the specifics and your address- ashleynaye@aol.com See www.maxtonsmemorablemoments.blogspot.com

    Love you!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chanda, Mikey and Tristan,
    I am deeply moved by your experience and wish to offer my sincerest condolences for the tremendous loss of your beloved, Ireland Rose. Hopefully you can find comfort in the scripture at Psalm 34:18 which says "Jehovah is near to those who are broken at heart and those who are crushed in spirit he saves." I am a volunteer minister and I would love to share more words of comfort. If you would welcome this you can contact me at goodnewsofhope@gmail.com!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My baby girl is due in 4 days. We picked the name Ireland Rose when we found out she was indeed a she. I put her name into google and this popped up. im so sorry that you went through this. Your little angel is truly beautiful and it will be an honor for my daughter to carry her name.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you come back Tess....that meant the world to me. My husband and I believe Ireland Rose is the most beautiful name and it's awesome to know another couple felt the same....and truly, a girl with that name can only be amazingly special. Congratulations and enjoy your daughter's every breath...we sure did. Thanks for leaving this comment.

    ReplyDelete